Thursday, August 27, 2009

1st Day of School

Everytime I hear someone talk about (or see someone post about) their kids starting school, it always includes something like "I can't believe my baby is a 4th grader!" or "He's a kindergartner - where does the time go?" or "It seems like only yesterday . . ."

Hope started 2nd grade this week and I keep thinking, "Is she really only in 2nd grade?" Of course, the time has gone quickly, and when I see pictures of Hope at EJ's age, it seems like it was such a short time ago. But Hope, so often, seems so much older than she really is. While Hope has a lot of '7 year-old tendencies' because she is 7, in so many ways, she's seems so much older.
Maybe it's because she's started calling me "mother" instead of "mommy".

Or because she wants to do things like "start her own business".


Maybe it's the way she sounds so grown up when she's sets out to explain things that we just don't understand!

Or the way she'll go up to her room and write down the lyrics of songs I know I didn't do that until at least middle school.

Or maybe it's the "13 year-old eye roll" that she has perfected.

Whatever the reason, she sometimes seems so grown up. It seems impossible that she's only a second grader. There are reminders though . . .

Like how she wants her closet light on at night.


And how she still must have "Cow Cow" to go to sleep. This deserves a post in and of itself.

And how she still loves to snuggle up on the couch and watch "baby shows" like Max and Ruby.

And how everyday she still wants mommy . . . er, mother, to give her a hug and kiss before she walks into class.

Enjoy the pics of our mature, sensitive, sometimes insecure, sometimes over-confident, strong-willed, fun-loving 2nd grader . . .
1st day of 2nd grade!
And to show how much she's grown:
1st day of 1st grade!
1st day of kindergarten!
It seems like only yesterday . . .


1 comment:

Jeanie said...

Makes me a little teary. I can't wait to see a post about "Cow-Cow".