Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sammy Girl


Last night we had to say goodbye to our sweet, sweet dog. She collapsed at home yesterday afternoon, and couldn't get up. Brandon and I spent a couple of hours at the vet with her while they tried to stablize her, not knowing what was wrong. Her heart rate and pulsox levels kept going up and down, almost like she was having little fainting spells. When the vet was closing at 7:00, she seemed fairly stable and she was transferred to Northside Emergency Vet Hospital to be "monitored through the night". The girls were at home with my mom, so Brandon went there to get the girls to bed while I went with Sam to get her checked in for the night. As soon as we got there, the doctor did an ultrasound on Sam's heart and we found out she had a pericardial effusion - the sac around her heart was filled with blood, making it nearly impossible for her heart to pump the way it needed to. This is usually caused by a cancerous tumor on the heart. C0nsidering Sam's age (10) and her condition, there wasn't much else we could do but put her down. I called Brandon so he and the girls could come up and tell her goodbye. I sat and snuggled with Sam while we waited for them to arrive. Minutes after they got there and we all said our goodbyes, Sam looked at Hope and took her last breath. She just passed on her own, without the doctor having to put her down. I know she was just holding on until everyone could get there and tell her goodbye. We got to spend some time with her afterward and give her some last hugs and kisses. Hope provided some comic relief as she couldn't control her "gas" -something we usually expected from Sam!
To us, Sam was the best dog in the world. Just like most dogs, she was a member of the family. I know it will be a long time before we stop expecting her to greet us at the door when we come in. Or come lean on our legs as we sit on the couch. Or lie on her bed, stinking up the place with her terrible breath and gassy tummy.
As I looked through pictures to post, it was hard to narrow it down to even this many. Even in the pictures that Sam was not really a "subject", she was usually in the background. Sam was always where the people were. We couldn't leave a room without her getting up and following us. We sure are going to miss this stinky girl!
Sam as a puppy - it doesn't get any cuter than that!

Best buds - from the day Hope came home from the hospital (top right picture), Sam and Hope were such good buddies. When I left to take Sam to the vet and Hope and Brandon were waiting for my mom to come over she told him, "Sam can't die. She's my dog. And I'm just a kid." She's having a tough time and keeps saying that she doesn't want Sam to be in heaven. She wants her to be right here beside her. As you can see, that was one of Sam's favorite places.

We love you Sammy girl!

4 comments:

The Hooper Family said...

I'm reading this at work, and holding back my tears. Dogs are such special creatures and create such wonderful memories. We send you are thoughts and prayers during a this difficult time! Kevin, Lindsey and girls

KBAT said...

So sorry to hear about your dog. I know how hard it is. I hope Sammy is having a blast in "Doggie Heaven". What a sweet dog! ~Kelly Lenz

Jeanie said...

:-) & :-(

Wander to the Wayside said...

Sorry to bring you back to this post, but I'm surfing your site. We have a white boxer, Eva Jean, who is five but has always had severe health problems, so we are always 'ready'. I don't know why I'm always so surprised, when one of our pets dies, just how traumatic it is, how freely the tears flow for weeks...and how long the memories last. Like you said, they are in every photo, in the background or up front being cute. They are part of the fabric of our lives. This is something I always do myself when one of our pets dies, write about them and send it and photos to everyone who knew them, or now I have the blog to use.

Lovely post.