Friday, March 13, 2009

From the Mouths of Babes

Our articulate 6 year-old, usually very precise and purposeful with her words, sometimes cracks us up with the things she says. Here are a few examples from the last couple of weeks.

While I was helping her clean her desk, trying to get her to throw some old papers away:
Hope: "I have to keep that. Those are the notes for the first non-fiction story I ever wrote in 1st grade"
Me: (teasing) "Oh, you need to keep it for posterity?"
Hope: (rolling her eyes) "I don't even like asparagus."

Just after getting all of the furniture set-up in her dollhouse:
"Now it's time to 'install' the people!" I guess it's a computer driven culture :)

Talking about the beta fish that are in her classroom for a science unit:
Me: "What are you all doing with the fish?
Hope: "Right now we're just 'observationing' them.

Laying in bed last week:
Hope: "This week is a drug.
Me: "A drug?"
Hope: "Yeah, a drug."
Me: "What does that mean?"
Hope: "It's taking a long time to get to the end."
Me: "Oh, the week feels like it's just dragging by?"
Hope:" That's what I just said." It had been a long week!

Talking about what we could do with Sam's ashes:
Me: "We should take them to a place where she really liked to be and spread them there."
Hope: "Like on the carpet where we come in the door?"

These everyday exchanges are so easily forgotten. I'll have to keep using this space to record those I remember. I'll do it for asparagus, uh, I mean posterity. It will be fun to look back at them one day!

No comments: