Friday, February 26, 2010

Ob.sessed


It couldn't have been a month ago when I was wishing that EJ would enjoy the television a little more. She's always loved the characters - Elmo, Cookie Monster, Mickey Mouse, Dora, Spongebob, and others - but she would never spend more than 46 seconds actually watching them on TV. I know, that's a good thing, right? Kids are becoming screen-obsessed - tv, video games, computers, ipods - and its leading to laziness and obesity. I. know. But all I was wanting was 20 minutes without having to worry about what my child was getting into. 20 minutes to make dinner or dry my hair, or clean the bathroom, or check my email, or blog, or mess around on facebook.


Have you ever heard the saying, "be careful what you wish for"? I'm telling you - be careful what you wish for! Within the last two weeks, Ellis has become DORA OBSESSED! I'm pretty sure she would sit and watch it the. entire. day. if I let her. She asks to watch it first thing when she wakes up in the morning, first thing after nap, when we're in the car, when we're at the store. You get the idea. And everytime I turn it off, she CRIES and CRIES.
Case in point: I know that 2 minutes is really too long for a video on a blog post, but I think she's cute, so I couldn't cut any out. I want her to see all of this one day! :)

I guess there could be worse things for her to be obsessed with. She's learning some new concepts and working on her spanish she's actually yelling "arriba" as I type. I'm sure it will wear off at some point and one day I'll be longing for the days that DORA was the thing she was obsessed with.


On a side note, EJ is only wearing diapers at night now, big girl panties all day! She went through a phase several months ago where she was really into the potty training thing, but I was SO not ready. She got over a it and we were peacefully in diapers full time. When she started showing interest again a week or so ago, I figured I better jump on it. So, she's had a few accidents here and there, but never away from home, besides once at Aunt Jill's house, but that's basically home. I do put a diaper on her at naptime still, although she stays dry during nap now. I'm not going to risk cutting a nap short due to wet pants. I NEED that time!!

3 comments:

Betty W said...

Just checking some blogs, before we go off for our long weekend. This was just what I needed to start the day with a smile. She is adorable!! Just makes you want to hug her. :)
I guess you´re right, when you say, watch out what you wish for. Now you got your wish... :)
Have a good weekend! I hope it´s warming up for you.

Jeanie said...

I guess she'll have to go to Grnadmom's and Aunt Jill's for her Dora fix.

Anonymous said...

Dora is a good role model, (and much more understandable than Spongebob Squarepants...who the heck came up with THAT name!!!)