Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Calgon, take me away!

Remember those old commercials?  It's the first thing that popped into my head this afternoon as I was trying to help Hope figure out a song on the keyboard she was getting VERY frustrated as she tried to pick out all the right notes and trying to help Ellis use the potty.  I mentioned in my last post that Ellis might be ready to potty train, but me, not so much.  She still just enjoys the novelty of it - and the M&M she gets when something "comes out".  Anytime we're at home, she wants to be naked.  Quicker access to the M&M, I guess.  She gets very upset when I try to put a diaper on her, unless we're leaving the house or she's going to bed.  Anyway, I digress.   It went something like this:

Hope: You already showed me that part, Mom!  I need the next part!
"Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do" - Ellis' potty singing to her because she's "done something".
EJ: I go potty, Mommy!
Me: Good job EJ, hold on.  I'll come dump it out in just a minute.
Hope: Mom!  What's next?
EJ (walking into the room where Hope and I are at the piano, carrying the potty seat): My dump it out, Mommy!
Me: No, EJ.  Give that to Mommy.  Pee running out the potty seat and down her legs.  Only Mommy and Daddy can clean out the potty.
EJ: No,Mommy!  My dump it out! No! No! (crying screaming) My dump it out! more crying, more screaming
Hope: Ugh! (laying upside on the keyboard bench)

A few minutes later after the potty seat is cleaned out, Hope and I are at the keyboard and Ellis is wiped down and supposedly looking at books in the other room . . .

Hope (still very frustrated and has now turned the keyboard up very loud because she can't "hear myself play over Ellis' screaming!"): I can't do it right! 
Me: Try just this part.
EJ: Mommy, come 'ere.
Me: Hold on EJ.  I'm helping Hope right now.
EJ (loudly, crying screaming): No!  Mommy help EJ!
Me: What do you need help with?
Hope: Mom!
EJ: Mommy, come 'ere!!!!!
Me: Go back to the family room and get a book, I'll come in there in just a minute. EJ slowly walks into the other room, crying.
Okay, Hope, try this part.
"Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do" - potty seat again
EJ (running back to Hope and I): I go potty one more time!
Me: Good job, EJ!  Stay right here, I'll go get it cleaned out!
Hope: MOM!
Me: Okay, let me show you real quick . . ."
Hope: EJ, no!  Mom - EJ has her potty seat again!
Me: Okay, hold on Hope.  Ellis, only mommy and daddy can empty out the - EJ! NO! pee all over the bathroom floor.
Hope: Ugh! (upside down on the keyboard bench again. Now with the keyboard playing some "demo" song turned up as LOUD as it could go)
Me: Hope - turn that down!
Hope: Come help me then!
Me: I need to clean this up - I'll be there in a minute!  Just try it on your own.
Hope: I need you to help with that part again.
Me: Try ANOTHER part.
Hope: I already KNOW the other parts.  I need help with the NEW part!
Me: Okay, hold on.  I've got the potty seat clean, I just need to clean up the bathroom floor.
EJ: Mommy, come 'ere!
Me: Just a minute EJ, I need to clean up the bathroom floor.
"Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do"

Some form of the last 2 scenarios literally played out 3 MORE TIMES within the next twenty minutes.  I was about ready to throw that d*$# potty seat away!  Seriously, how can anyone pee 6 times in a 30 minute period?  What did I give that child to drink?

Chaos takes many different forms in my house on a day to day basis.  In the midst of it, I wish there was something that could just "take me away".  But in reality, I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I know this precious time with my babies is short.  The heartwarming, funny, memorable times outweigh the bad most days.  And I just try to remind myself that all of our experiences serve a purpose - we're learning.  I'm learning to be a better parent, a better wife, a better person.  They're learning about themselves, and how to find their place in a great big world. 

Usually the chaos is short lived. Sometimes we learn something from it. Today the lesson was patience . . . for all of us.  The girls were reminded that they can't always get what they want, right when they want it.  I was reminded that I do have the ability to pull out the patience when I need it. At least sometimes.  

I was also reminded that I am not ready for potty training.

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

Now I know what to get you for Christmas....a case of Calgon!

Marie said...

I am so with you and know what it is like to be pulled in many different directions:) AND I HATE POTTY TRAINING!!! but you are so right about the time being short and before you know it we will be sitting at bunko taking about where all of our oldests will be going to college:)

Katy said...

I love your girls - they crack me up! That is hilarious and I would agree that potty training is no fun!!