Monday, November 30, 2009

As if I were still in the running . . .

I officially lost the "Mother of the Year" Award today.  When the friend that we carpool with pulled up in front of the house to drop off Hope I anxiously rushed out the door to greet my daughter, as any good mother would.  Or I could have been rushing out to chat with the other mom.  Little did I know that EJ was right behind me.  I figured it out several seconds later when it clicked that she was crying. I assumed it was because she wanted to come outside with me.  When I turned around, I realized the real reason for her tears.  I had let the door close on her finger - not the normal "close your finger in the door" part of the door, but the other side.  The same side that the hinges are on.  The door was closed, and until my brain was able to process what was going on, her finger was stuck in there, and she was looking up at me with her sad little eyes, crying in pain, wondering why I was letting this continue!  I finally figured it out, opened the door as quickly as I could and scooped her sad little self into my arms.  Here's the damage and the pictures really don't do it justice . . .




Poor thing.  She cried for 20 minutes straight and then off and on for an hour. And this is the girl who fell all the way down the basement stairs and barely shed a tear maybe that's the day I lost the award.  This one must have hurt!

And in other news . . .

Thanksgiving was fun, fun, fun!  We spent the day at Mom's with aunts, uncles, grandparents, brothers, sisters, cousins (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) and dogs.  We ate a lot and enjoyed spending time with everybody.  I can honestly say we do not have one of those "let's make it through the holidays so we don't have to spend time with these people anymore" families.Thank goodness!  It was a fantastic day!  Somehow I ended up with no pictures.

Hope had the entire week off school.  We enjoyed not having to get up early and rush out of the house in the mornings.  A few of the activities that kept us busy . . .



We made pies.


Justin slept over . . .

. . . and we ate turkey shaped pancakes for breakfast.

Hope took pictures of herself . . .

and of Ellis.

We put up lights . . .

. . . and Christmas decorations.

We "built" bears . . .

. . . and visited Santa.

Now we'll try to rest for the next few weeks before Christmas Break!

3 comments:

The Hooper Family said...

Sounds like a fun week! Stinks about EJ's hand...she won't remember it (unless you publish it in a blog book for her)!!! Those things happen to all of us!

Jeanie said...

I may be borrowing a piece of this, just because it is so sweet. Please don't sue me.

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

this was adorable and i love your mom and her blog and that's how i found you. your girls are gorgeous btw but you already know that!