Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Life is Rough

I got a loaner car today because our car is having some stuff done to it at the dealership. Our loaner is a cute little emphasis on the word "little" red Mazda 3. Like I said, it's a "cute" car, but definitely a very basic model. When we picked Hope up from school today she asked, "Why do you have to unlock all the doors by hand?" And as soon as we got in the car: "What's this? Oh, it rolls down the window - you have to turn it!" And as I opened the trunk at the store: "The trunk even needs a key????"

When I was exactly Hope's age my parents got divorced and I moved to Colorado with my mom and sister. I remember being amazed that a garage door could be opened without a garage door opener, and that ice cubes could be made using 'trays', rather than an electric ice maker.

Funny how our perspective can be so warped because of life's "little luxuries". I tried to explain to Hope that we should feel lucky that we have any car at all. That some people don't have the ability to buy a car and have to walk or take a bus everytime they need to go someplace.

She was quiet as we pulled into the garage and I turned off the car. I started to think that maybe my little lecture had an affect on her. Then she exclaimed, "Cool! You can roll the window up after the car is turned off! At least there's something good about this car!"

1 comment:

KBAT said...

Have you told them you didn't have a microwave when you were little?! That one always amazes my kids.