Monday, July 27, 2009

Mark Twain - A Musical Biography

Sounds exciting, huh? In truth, it was a very cute musical and touching story I actually learned a lot of new and interesting facts about the man! and it has been such a big part of our summer, it's hard to believe I am only now blogging about it! Hope had roles as a whitewash girl and a flower seller and she took her parts very seriously! In addition to the many hours of rehearsals, she spent a lot of time singing the songs and saying her lines at home and in the car, and at the store. Several times I went to bed with the songs running through my head and woke up the next morning with them still there. Even though it was busy and took up a lot of Hope's summer afternoons, she thoroughly enjoyed herself. She learned a lot and made many great friends. Hope is a girl that likes to be on stage! She has a flair for the dramatic and I love that she has an outlet for that.

Saturday night was her last performance, followed by a cast party. By the time she got to bed it was after midnight. I laid down with her, and despite being exhausted, she kept talking and talking. Before I got up she said, "I just can't believe the show's actually over. I think my life is going to feel pretty empty for the next few days". I just smiled.

Flower Sellers

Still selling flowers

Cute little Whitewash Kids
The final scene - an Oxford Graduation

The Cast - kids ranged from 5 - 17 years old!

No comments: